Thanks for having your say on the future of Auckland and our transport plans in March and May.
More than 40,000 Aucklanders had their say on our plans that will help shape our future, more than ever before.
Your feedback was really important. It helped the Mayor and councillors make the big decisions which will shape our city for years to come.
There were two big plans we asked for your help with this year. Our 10-year Budget sets the priorities for the next decade and how we pay for them, while the Auckland Plan is about long-term issues and the Auckland you want over the next 30 years.
Our 10-year Budget
In the consultation on our budget, we wanted your feedback on how the budget funds transport, water quality and the environment, as well as how we planned to approach rates for the next 10 years.
On 31 May council agreed to the following items for the 10-year Budget:
- The introduction of a Regional Fuel Tax, enabling the largest ever council transport investment of $12 billion over the next 10 years (including $4.3 billion from leveraging the Regional Fuel Tax). Read the RFT report for more information
- Cleaning up Auckland’s waterways and beaches with new investment of $452 million in stormwater infrastructure through a water quality targeted rate
- Protecting Kauri and our native flora and fauna with an additional $311 million from a natural environment targeted rate to fund pest and disease control
- Adapting to Climate Change and protecting communities with the establishment of a $40 million Climate Change Response Fund and an additional $90 million for coastal asset management
- Investing in sports and culture by establishing a contestable fund of $120 million for sports and recreation facilities and an additional $20 million funding for the Auckland Art Gallery
- Delivering improved social outcomes by creating the Western Initiative with $5 million to increase employment and life skills for young Aucklanders
- average general rate rise of 2.5 per cent for the next two years and 3.5 per cent for the remaining eight years of the budget
- To amend the rating treatment of the online accommodation sector so that business rates and the accommodation provider targeted rate so it also applies to properties rented using web-based accommodation services.
Find out more about these items and other content in the committee reports and minutes.
These decisions and the budget will now be reflected in the final 10-year Budget document which will be audited and then adopted by the council on 28 June.
Auckland Transport will also make its final decisions around its 10-year plan for transport in Auckland after considering public feedback on the draft Regional Land Transport Plan.
You will be able to find out more about these decisions and read the final budget online or hard copies found in Libraries, Service Centres and Local Board Offices in July.
The Auckland Plan 2050
In the consultation on the Auckland Plan, we asked for your feedback on six key outcome areas and on how Auckland will grow and change over the next 30 years. The response to the plan was fantastic, and your feedback has informed the final plan.
Some of the key changes include:
- a new focus area to promote participation in arts, culture, sports and recreation as a major contributor to our quality of life, particularly our general health and wellbeing
- greater emphasis on the rapid transit network and on safety, including personal safety and security; and reducing the environmental impact of transport
- more reference to public transport affordability and the impacts of congestion on Aucklanders’ quality of life
The expansion of some development areas and some new development areas.
- This week, the council adopted the Auckland Plan 2050 setting the direction for how Auckland will grow and develop over the next 30 years.
An implementation approach will follow in the second half of 2018 and there will be further work on targets. The final Auckland Plan 2050 will be available online by August 2018.
Thanks again Auckland – your feedback played a big part in deciding our future!