Kashmir Association of South Pacific Inc.
Striving to Implement UN Resolutions for Self Determination
6 Lancing Rd, Sandringham, Auckland 1025, New Zealand
Press Release – 24 September 2019
New Zealanders of Kashmiri origin and supporters will be holding a peace vigil on:
1. Thursday, 26 September (Wellington) – Outside the Parliament building in Wellington 12:30-2pm. This will be followed by vigil outside the Indian Embassy from 2-3pm.
2. Friday, 27 September (Christchurch) – March will start from Victoria sq. at 2:30pm and finish at the Bridge of remembrance.
A petition signed by several thousand New Zealanders will be presented to the NZ government asking it to send a strong message to the Indian government to immediately cease Human Rights violation in Kashmir, to withdraw its forces from Kashmir and seek resolution in accordance with the United Nations resolutions.
I would like to draw your attention to disturbing human rights developments in the Indian occupied region of Jammu & Kashmir:
1. Kashmir siege continues into the 8th week.
2. Kiwis of Kashmiri origin continue to have no contact with their families in Kashmir. Internet, mobile phones and local news has been cut off.
3. No journalist, Indian politicians (non-BJP), NGOs or officials from other countries are allowed into Kashmir
4. All school, business, public transport and other essential services have been closed down
5. Campaign of arrest, arbitrary detention and killings by Indian Army continues. According to Indian officials 4,000 people have been arrested so far, actual figures are likely to be in tens of thousands
6. Children as young as 14 years have been arrested in midnight raids and sent to jails all over India, without informing their whereabouts to their parents.
7. The Indian Government bypassed its own democratic process by abolishing Jammu and Kashmir parliament and impose direct Indian rule.
8. It split Kashmir into two Union Territories of India to change the demographics of the region. While locking up the entire population of Kashmir in their homes
The details of the peace vigil are:
Date: Thursday, 26 September 2019
Venue: Parliament Building, Wellington
Indian High Commission
102-112 Lambton Quay, Wellington
Date: Friday, 27 September 2019
Venue: March from Victoria Square / Remembrance Bridge, Christchurch
Please join us for the peace vigil in support of people of Kashmir.
027 578 6786